How to restore “Show Desktop” icon
Here is a useful tip on how to restore the¬†Show Desktop¬†icon from the taskbar incase you deleted it accidently.
1. Click¬†Start¬†, click¬†Run, type¬†notepad, and then click¬†OK.
2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
3. Click¬†File, click¬†Save As, and then save the file to your desktop as¬†Show Desktop.scf.
Note:¬†Notepad may automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be¬†Show Desktop.scf.
The file must now be moved to the correct folder in the user profile to appear in the Quick Launch toolbar. To do this, use one of the following methods.
1. Use the mouse to drag the¬†Show Desktop.scf¬†icon to the Quick Launch toolbar or another location where you want the shortcut to appear.
2. Click¬†Move Here.
1. Use Windows Explorer to locate the following folders:
Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98
Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Note¬†Username refers to the account name where you want to put the icon.
2. Use the mouse to drag the¬†Show Desktop.scf¬†file to the Quick Launch folder.
3. Click¬†Move Here.
Note¬†By default, the Application Data folder for Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP is a hidden folder. You may have to unhide this folder by using the Advanced Settings in Internet Explorer. Click the¬†Show hidden files and folders¬†option.